Wednesday 10 September 2008

In 2008 Mercury Bends Elbow's Way

Tonight Elbow have been named winners of the 2008 Nationwide Mercury Prize for their album The Seldom Seen Kid.

Beating out (among others) four time nominees Radiohead, hot favourites Burial, John De Lorean lovers Neon Neon, and Rascal/Monkey combo The Last Shadow Puppets.

After enduring a few difficult years; in which a good friend died and the band were dumped by their record label, this award is a tremendous return to form and good fortune for a group traditionally seen as the ‘band’s band’.
Thank you very, very much and have a top evening - Elbow
Early guesses at nominees for 2009: Monkey: Journey to the West, Franz Ferdinand, ..., ..., your suggestions are welcome below.

3 comments:

Nick said...

Really pleased Elbow won - I said back in July that they'd be my choice so I wish I'd put some money on it - could have got great odds!

But they do deserve it - I met them a couple of times when I was living in Manchester and they're genuinely great people, they've worked hard, and, most importantly, it's a brilliant album. they say that winning it is the best thing that's ever happened to them and I'm really pleased for them.

Nick said...

Tips for 09? Glasvegas are sure to be in there, and I'm hoping for great things from the next Doves album. It'd be nice if a guitar band didn't win next time, though. The Streets?

As for Monkey, Albarn described Gorrillaz' Mercury nomination back in 2001 as "like carrying a dead albatross round your neck for eternity", and, by his request, was officially taken off the nominations list. Good The Bad And The Queen, wasn't nominated, and I can't see him getting a nod for Monkey.

Hummer said...

I have read that Damon Albarn quote before as well. But Monkey is good and they do like to have a few nominations from the non-pop world.

I am disappointed that Burial didn't win. I had a much better blog drafted: all about how X-tina, Beyonce and Playstation samples were decisive in the award being given to his album Untrue.