Sunday 25 January 2009

Live Review: ‘An Evening With My Morning Jacket’ @ The Metro Theatre, Sydney (22/01/08)

On one of Sydney's hottest nights on record, The Metro had descended into a seething, sweaty mess of tired but happy people by the end of a monumental double set lasting a full 2 hours 45 minutes, from Kentucky's finest rock band, My Morning Jacket.

The setlist says it all, really – the gig was a long, but consistently brilliant blast through the best bits of the band's brilliant back catalogue, which, despite the length, never felt like an endurance event, even during the extended guitar solos (of which there were many).

Highlights? The 15-odd minute version of 'Dondante', The magnificent 'Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 2'...Plenty others. If I go to another gig as good as this one in 2009, it'll have been a very good year for live music.
-
Setlist:
At Dawn
It Beats 4 U
Evil Urges
Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 1
Off the Record
I'm Amazed
Way He Sings
Lowdown
Sec Walkin'
Golden
Thank You Too
Heartbreakin' Man
Mahgeetah
Laylow
Gideon
Librarian
Dondante
Smokin' from Shootin'
Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2
Cobra
Run Thru
------
Wordless Chorus
Highly Suspicious
Phone Went West
I Think I'm Going to Hell
Anytime
One Big Holiday

2 comments:

Hummer said...

So it was good then.

Big Day Out side shows = The best thing about the Big Day Out.

Nick said...

Correct!

Also just realised how badly written this review is - first sentence might be the longest and clumsiest ever written... I did it in a bit of a hurry...